Seems like it’s been forever since I made a blog post last. Between family being in town and early thanksgiving celebrations, things have been quite busy ’round these skirts. Let me tell you though, waiting for this recipe is the best thing you could’ve done for yourself. Whether you are vegan and gluten free, one of those, or neither, this recipe is amazing and easy to do.
Gluten free can be so hard to find good products sometimes, especially when you throw vegan in there, and bread seems to be the hardest thing to find. There are a couple brands that I have found that are reasonably good, including Scharr and BeFree, but the loaves are so expensive and small. I have a wonderful solution *queue drumroll* vegan, gluten free focaccia that takes you around 30 minutes start to finish to make! Say whaaaat? You did not read that wrong, the bread is so fluffy and tasty, I always regret making only one loaf because of how delicious it is.
My highlight of the recipe is a little different from past ingredients, but very important which is GARLIC!
Garlic has been known to improve flavor in many recipes, but did you know there are some awesome health benefits to it as well?
- It contains antioxidants that can prevent heart/coronary issues
- It can protect against numerous different cancers, another benefit of consuming antioxidants
- It can reduce chronic inflammation
- It also is an antimicrobial and antifungal and protects against infection/sickness due partially to its Vitamin C contents
- It has been shown to boost metabolism
The best part about this bread is how well it stays together. I have had numerous sandwiches with this bread and not once has it fallen apart on me. It’s also very chewy bread, so it resembles the center of french bread well, which I used to eat loaves by the day before I was gluten free. Another great aspect of this bread is how inexpensive it is to make, especially if you can buy your flour in bulk! For me it cost under $4 to make this loaf.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||20 minutes||30 min|
Makes 8-16 slices depending on size
For the bread:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used a homemade gluten free blend)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp agave
2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups sparkling/soda water
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbsp rosemary
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Combine all ingredients for the topping into a small bowl and obtain a basting brush or fork
- Add all dry ingredients together for the bread and mix to even consistency
- Add agave and olive oil, then when ready open the sparkling/soda water and add to the mixture
- Stir with a fork or silicon spatula until even consistency
- Place dough in center of pan and roll out with a piece of saran wrap on top, or knead out with hands/silicon spatula
- When the dough covers roughly the whole pan, mix up the topping really quick then baste and spread the topping over the entire loaf
- Place in oven for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, then bake another 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown
- Let cool if desired, or make a nice, warm, delicious sandwich right away, I found the best way to cut the bread up into the desired look was with a pizza cutter.